As a trusty McDonalds employee, I like to think I know a thing or two about burgers. These burgers however are nothing like a big mac, quarter pounder or a grand angus. They are FAR healthier and FAR tastier, and even better-they contain no animal products whatsoever (I’m not a vegetarian myself but I do like healthy recipes). I’m not claiming that these taste anything like meat, but I can assure you that they taste pretty damn good, and that you can feel good knowing that you are putting such healthy food into your body. Lets get into it.
Makes 8 patties
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrot
- Oil to prevent sticking
- 1 tablespoon salty soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 1 and 1/2 cups of tinned 4 bean mix, strained
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Burger salad ingredients
- Burger bun
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the brown rice for 20-25 minutes until it is slightly under-cooked (We under-cook the rice to give more texture to the patties.
- Put a dash of oil into a large fry-pan and fry onion with the carrot and zucchini until soft.
- Remove from the heat and toss in the soy sauce and tomato sauce.
- Transfer the vegetable mix to a food processor and add beans, paprika, oregano, pepper, breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice.
- Pulse until a coarse mixture is formed, scrape sides with a baking spatula to combine in between pulses.
- Roll into balls and flatten them into 3 cm thick patties
- Fry the patties in a minimal amount of oil to prevent them from sticking to the pan. About 4 minutes each side on a medium-high heat.
- Serve in a bun of your choice with salad, I prefer multi-grain buns.
There you have it, my healthy vegetarian burger patties! I hope you enjoy this one. Comment any feedback or questions and feel free to leave a like! I plan on posting twice weekly- 1 healthy recipe and 1 cheat meal recipe. 😀
I am not promoting any of the above products and all of these recipes are my own unless stated otherwise.