I come bearing new recipes. On Saturday I went to the farmers market and came across these lovely purple beetroots and immediately knew what to do with them. Today’s recipe is a beetroot dip that packs a punch. This recipe didn’t take too long to cook, most of the time goes into roasting the beetroots in the oven! So here goes.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
4-5 sprigs of thyme
1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
200mL Greek yoghurt (10 tablespoons)
4 pinches of salt
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Wash then chop the ends off the beetroot and place them in a small roasting dish, spoon the oil over the top of them.
- Finely slice 1 of the cloves of garlic and sprinkle over the beetroot, then place the sprigs of thyme over the beetroot in the roasting dish.
- Place the tray in the oven for 1 hour
- Take the beetroot out of the oven, they should still be fairly firm. Peel the beetroot then chop them as finely as possible (remember this is a rustic dip so you don’t want to pure`e them, but you don’t want chunks of beetroot either), feel free to use a food processor for this part. Place it in a bowl.
- Finely chop the second clove of garlic and add it to the beetroot bowl with the cumin, Greek yoghurt, salt and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Serve. This will go nicely with water crackers or crispbread
This has a very vibrant purple color so it is best served with a complimentary colored garnish which in this case is green.
Enjoy this one guys! It is great for a party or a snack, the possibilities are endless!
Thank you for all your support, thanks for leaving a like and feel free to comment any questions or suggestions! See you in the next one.