I have decided to put a healthy spin on this blog, because that is exactly what I’m attempting to do to my lifestyle! However we have all had those fad diets that we have tried and given up after a week (GUILTY). Diets will work, but it can be tricky to remain happy while making healthy food choices. A cheat meal or cheat day is the best way to get past this, so I’m going to start a weekly segment for less healthy, homely and most importantly, super tasty meals that you can prepare to treat yourself.
This pear and apple pie is packed full of flavor coming from the lashings of spices involved, and the pastry is some of the best I have ever made (not my own pastry recipe, not quite daring enough for that yet). Here it is!
Pastry recipe is here made by POPSUGAR
- I cant stress enough how important it is that the pastry remains cold while making it. When rolling the pastry out it can get a little warmer.
- I added 2 tablespoons of sugar to the pastry in the first step
- I made the pastry using the food processor method.
- Just put the pastry in the freezer while you make your filling, if that only takes 30 minutes that’s completely fine.
- When rolling out the pastry firmly smack it into a circle with a rolling pin before rolling, this makes it easier to roll with less cracks because when you take it out of the freezer it is quite firm.
- Don’t stress if the edges of the pastry crack when you are rolling, just push the cracks back together and keep rolling.
- The 8 Ounces of butter is converted to 225g of butter.
- 800g peeled, cored and chopped pears and apples (about 9 fruits before peeled and cored)
- 10 mint leaves chopped super fine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon milk (for glazing)
- Make pastry according to POPSUGAR instructions and place this in the freezer until the filling had been made.
- Peel and core the apples and pears before chopping them into 2cm cubes.The ratio of apples to pears doesn’t matter too much.
- Put the mint, sugar, spices and lemon juice in with the chopped fruit and toss it together (being careful not to spill the lemon juice like I did!).
- Remove pastry from the freezer. On a lightly floured surface using a lightly floured rolling pin, smack the one ball of the pastry into a circle before rolling it to the desired thickness. Roll the pastry onto the rolling pin and place into the pie dish. Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan forced.Push the pastry so it fits snugly into the dish. (Some mint found its way into my pastry).
- Place the spiced fruit into the the prepared pastry dish.
- Roll out the second similarly to the first and place on top of the pie.
- Crimp the edges using your finger or a fork (I used my finger) and trim off the excess pastry.
- Glaze the top with the milk using a soft pastry brush and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Take it out of the oven and serve by itself or with cream or ice cream.
Thanks for reading, I hope you guys enjoy this one! Feel free to leave any questions or feedback in the comments! 🙂
See ya in the next one!
I am not promoting any of the above products and all of these recipes are my own unless stated otherwise.